Friday, April 06, 2018

Updates

Based on some feedback I received recently, I updated RegRipper's rip.pl (and the corresponding .exe, of course) to include the "-uP" switch.

What this switch does is run through all of the plugins, determine to which hives they apply, and the automatically update the default profiles with those plugins.  As I've stated in the past, when I create a new plugin, I do not update that appropriate profile...I just add the plugin to the repository.  If you want to run all of the plugins available for the NTUSER.DAT hive against all NTUSER.DAT hives you get, run rip.exe with the "-uP" switch, and the profile named "ntuser" will include all of those plugins, EXCEPT those with "_tln" in their name.

This switch will create or overwrite (if they already exist) profiles named for the hives (lower case, without ".dat" at the end).  This does NOT affect any custom profiles you've created, unless they use the same names.

I recently received a request from someone to create a new plugin to retrieve the IE Search Scopes.  The 'searchscopes.pl' plugin was added to the repository today, along with the updated rip.pl/.exe mentioned above.

Something I wanted to point out about both of these updates...they started with someone asking.  That's it.  I don't use RegRipper's profiles for the analysis work I do, but I know that others do.  If you use the GUI, then that's pretty much what you use...you use profiles, rather than individual plugins.  The profiles are also valuable when using the RegRipper extension added to the Nuix Workbench product (fact sheet); the extension relies on a mapping of the hive type to the RegRipper profile.  You can edit/update the profiles themselves, or you can create your own custom profiles and edit the mapping file (JSON, just open it in Notepad...).  I showed the extension to someone, and they asked, "hey, can you create a tool that automatically updates the default profiles?"

The same is true with the searchscopes.pl plugin...someone said, hey, there's this thing that I found useful during an investigation, it might make a good plugin.  Boom.  Done. 

If you've been thinking about something along these lines, or trying to find a way to do it manually, maybe there's a way to do it in an automated fashion.  Sometimes, the smallest interaction can lead to a big result.  Don't isolate yourself on your own island.

No comments: